Sunday, June 9, 2019

Kenya: Chapter 6 'Plugged In'

While we got plenty of opportunities to do ministry on and off campus, I found that the hidden joy and mission of this trip was truly getting plugged in. Conversations, fellowshipping over meals, investing time in different spaces on campus… the relationships that came from these moments are the ones I will cherish forever.
MARCUS- Marcus works the cash register/checkout line at the little cafeteria where we ate most of our meals. He greeted us everyday with a smile and LOTS of patience. Whether we were trying to figure out how many shillings we owed, collecting bottle caps (for Tally’s brothers), or buying breakfast to feed a whole bus... Marcus is super funny, kind to everyone, hard working, very patient, and humble. Although we didn’t have as many conversations as I had with some of the other students at ANU, he is my friend and I am so thankful that I got to meet him.
ERICK- Erick ended up sharing quite a few meals with us. He is studying education and while he seemed quiet at first, he genuinely wanted to get to know us and we had great conversations. Our friendship has grown even stronger after coming home. While all of my ANU friends are still in contact, the conversations I’ve had with him have been super helpful and comforting as the reverse culture shock has set in. Thank you for being a really great friend Erick… also you’ve got a super cool name :).
JACKLYN- Dr. Phillips (from Trevecca) is currently teaching at ANU for the summer semester. He invited us to one of his smaller business classes so that we could meet some more ANU students... this is where I first got the privilege of meeting Jacklyn. Dr. Phillips wanted us to split off (1 TNU and 1 ANU student), get to know each other, and introduce each other to the class. I had been drawn to Jacklyn as soon as I’d entered the room so let me tell you a little bit about this AMAZING woman. Jacklyn is from Burundi and she’s 30 years old. She’s the oldest of 4 (2 brothers, 1 sister) and she is married to a man named Joseph who still lives in Burundi. This is her second year at ANU but she’s almost done - yes… her family is back in Burundi but she is here by herself pursuing her education. She likes cows and Kenyan food isn’t her favorite (Burundi food is better). She’s majoring in International Business and she loves to travel and wants to travel more in the future. So far she’s been to Uganda, Russia, and Dubai. She gives the best hugs. She is also a member of the morning prayer group that I will write about in chapter 7. The last day the two of us were supposed to meet up and talk before I left… we never got the chance. The bus was on its way back but we were stuck in traffic and by the time we finally got back to campus, Jacklyn couldn’t wait any longer and had started on her way home. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that. Jacklyn, if you ever find yourself reading this please know how sorry I am that I missed you that day and that I’m so proud of everything you’re doing and I am incredibly thankful for your friendship.
LILIAN- A staff member came up to Kori and I one day and asked us if there were any Pastor’s Kids (PKs) on the trip. Kori was a double PK and somehow we both ended up in a meeting with Ms. Ruth and 4 PK’s from ANU. While I’m not a PK, I think that I’ve shared in some of the same struggles so I just pretended. That meeting was where Kori and I met Lilian. We were almost ready to go home and we didn’t have much time to get to know her, but that didn’t matter. Lilian joined Kori, Lauren, and I for lunch after that meeting and our hearts were instantly bonded together forever. We talked about the differences between America and Kenya (dating expectations are insanely different!). The last night of our trip the three of us cried for a solid hour - I have the pictures to prove it. I already miss you and your hugs SO much Lilian. I’m so incredibly thankful for our friendship and that I pretended to be a PK for a couple minutes :).
JUDY- Judy, my GIRL. I got to hang out with Judy on the last Monday (and Tuesday) of our trip. A bus full of TNU, SNU, and ANU students and faculty took a little field trip to visit Care of Creation Kenya at Moffat Bible College where we talked about Climate Change and their “Farming God’s Way” program. The 3 hour bus ride meant that Judy and I got ~close~. She is one of the most fashionable people I’ve ever met. She knows how to breakdance. We bonded over ex-boyfriend stories and she taught me how to spell the Swahili words I had learned. We sang together and bonded over all of the fun, girly stuff...  but she also told me about how her mom passed away on December 28 of 2000. We passed the cemetery where her mom is buried every time we left campus. Her dad had died when she was a baby so she was orphaned at age 6. Judy is SO strong. She has an optimistic view on life. She knows what she believes and she clings to her beliefs tightly. She is pure, tender-hearted, beautiful, talented, determined, and one of my favorite people I met in Kenya. Meeting her has changed my life… it made me stronger. Nakupenda, Judy.
COLLINS- The last day of our trip JP and I were asked to share our testimonies again (like we had done at the Town campus the first week). I shared mine and got the blessing of meeting several students afterward who came up and told me that my story had touched them. Two of them even shared their stories with me - one of them being Collins. Collins also knows a thing or two about cancer. His uncle and cousin passed away from colon and prostate cancer and his mom survived breast cancer. Cancer is very taboo in Kenya - it’s seen as witchcraft or the devil working inside of you. Only one hospital in all of Kenya treats cancer, no one wants to be around a person who has cancer, and public transit drivers (buses, tuk tuks, ubers) won’t even let you in their vehicle. He told me about how his family shunned his mom and how his dad (who thankfully worked for the government and therefore could get her the care she needed) bought his own car to transport her to that sole hospital for treatment that ended up saving her life. It’s been hard for him to share his story but -wow- what a humbling and inspiring gift it was that he chose to share it with me. I only had one conversation with Collins but his story hit me deep. His story is one that I will never ever forget. I am so thankful for his willingness to share his testimony with me and for his love for his mom and passion for life.
GERMAINE- Last but CERTAINLY not least… Germaine. I don’t even know where to begin and there’s no way I could write down the memories yet alone put into words how thankful I am for his friendship. Rob and Cindy were our missionary hosts but Germaine acted as our assistant host… our Kenyan connection. He was with us almost every day, gave us his perspective at debrief, made sure the girls were never alone and always protected, and so much more. I got to know Germaine, his story, and his future plans (that I am so excited for!!!). He graduated last year from ANU but came back to hang out with us and to see his old friend JP who was one of our Trevecca sponsors. He told me a few days into the trip that he thought I was a pastor from the first moment he met me. As you’ll hear in chapter 7, another person got that same impression which was super cool for me. Anyways, back to Germaine - what he didn’t know is that the same role he held for our group is the role that I will be taking up for 5 mission trip teams this summer while I’m interning in Puerto Rico. I could write another few pages on Germaine but I’ll cut it off here and just say thank you… thank you for the constant encouragement, the incredible example you set for me, your honesty in conversation, your advice, your protection, your guidance, your smile, and your friendship. I cannot wait to see where God takes you in these next few years. I’ll see you soon, brother.





THIS IS GERMAINE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment